1993 Mumbai Blasts: Death penalty to two, life term to Abu Salem and other
It is justice finally for the victims and families of 1993 Mumbai blasts case. Special TADA court has given death penalty to main accused Feroze Ahmed, Rashid Khan and Mohd Tahir Merchant.
Gangster Abu Salem escaped noose because of extradition treaty with Portugal from where he was deported. He was given life imprisonment along with other accused Karimullah Khan. 5th convict Riyaz Siddiqui has been sentenced to 10 years in jail by the court.
Lets have a look at the timeline of the case
• March 12, 1993 blasts - blasts rip through some of Mumbai's most iconic buildings and sites
• March 12, 1993 blasts - 257 killed, over 700 injured
• 2005- Abu Salem deported from Portugal
• First part of trial ended in 2007. 100 convicted, 23 later acquitted
• 2015 - Yakub Memon hanged in connection with the blasts
• June 16 , 2017 - second leg of balsts trial involving 7 accused concludes
• June 16, 2017 - Special TADA court convicts Abu Salem, Mohammed Tahir Merchant, Karimullah Khan, Riyaz Siddiqui, Feroze Ahmed Rashid Khan and Mustafa Dossa. Abdul Qayyum acquitted in the case.
• June 28, 2017 - Mustafa Dossa dies in Jail
Abu Salem - convicted of criminal conspiracy, murder and terrorism
Mohammed Tahir Merchant - convicted of criminal conspiracy, murder and terrorism
Karimullah Khan - convicted of criminal conspiracy, murder and terrorism
Feroze Ahmed Rashid Khan - convicted of criminal conspiracy, murder and terrorism
Riyaz Siddiqui - abetting and aiding terrorism
CBI sought death sentence for Tahir Merchant, Feroze Feroze Ahmed Rashid and Karimullah Khan.
CBI sought life sentences against Abu Salem and Riyaz Siddiqui
Meanwhile, BJP spokesperson Shah Nawaz Hussain said that the verdict on Mumbai 1993 blasts is a lesson for those conspiring against the nation.